The National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), Brasilia, Brazil, and TWAS offer up to 50 fellowships per year to young scientists from developing countries (other than Brazil) who wish to pursue research leading towards a PhD in natural sciences.
- TWAS-CNPq Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at research institutions in Brazil for a period of up to four years and are awarded to students from developing countries (other than Brazil) to enable them to pursue all or part (SANDWICH or FULL-TIME) of their research leading towards a PhD degree in the natural sciences.
- The academic year in Brazil usually begins on 1 March and the second semester in early August of each year. Candidates will enrol for their PhD at the host institution and must observe the academic calendar of the host institution and be ready to start their Fellowship on the first day of classes/courses (most likely in Portuguese).
- A list of research institutions in Brazil where TWAS-CNPq Fellowships are tenable (CAPES-Conceito 5, 6 and 7) is available from the link below.
- Information about living conditions, such as possibilities of accommodation, transportation, and any other issues related to the candidate’s stay in Brazil must be obtained locally, directly from the host institution. Neither TWAS nor CNPq can provide this information.
- The language of instruction is Portuguese for most institutions, and in a few institutions English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be permanent residents in a developing country (other than Brazil).
- Hold a Master’s degree in a field of the natural sciences.
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
- Provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution and be willing to register for a PhD degree in the natural sciences at a participating CAPES-listed Brazilian institution. Prove knowledge of Portuguese or provide a certificate of proficiency in Spanish or English (if these languages are not the candidate’s mother tongue).
- Have an updated Curriculum Vitae on CNPq’s Lattes Platform.
- Present a detailed research plan.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
For sandwich postgraduate fellowship applicants only:
- Be officially registered as a PhD student in her/his home country for at least 12 months before presenting her/his candidacy to the sandwich postgraduate fellowship.
- Have a letter of agreement of her/his supervisor in her/his home country.
Worth of Awards
CNPq will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. The tuition fees are also covered.
How to Apply
Applications to the TWAS-CNPq Fellowships must be submitted online only. See link below.
The call for applications where you will find the programme details, eligibility criteria, required documents and certificates as well as the online application form is available at
Applicants must be aware that CNPq and TWAS will not accept applications submitted by any other means except via the online application form.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from a CAPES-listed institution to CNPq when applying. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year. With the exception of the fellowships “for research collaboration”, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and TWOWS that are mutually exclusive.
Deadline: The deadline for receipt of 2011 applications is 30 June of each year. It is important that you prepare your application early enough for the 2012 opening. Apply to the institution of your choice early enough.
Queries concerning the call for applications to the TWAS-CNPq Fellowships programmes should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the fellowship, click here.