The MasterCard Foundation invites applications from well qualified prospective students for the 2016 scholarships. The Foundation has partnered with Michigan State University to provide full tuition scholarships to undergraduate and masters students from Sub-Saharan Africa.
Students who have demonstrated academic talent, are economically disadvantaged and have a personal commitment to give back to their countries are invited to apply for these scholarships.
Through financial, academic, social and post-graduation support, The Scholars Program will ensure that young people are equipped with the skills and competencies needed to spur economic growth and social development in their respective countries of origin.
Worth of Award
The MasterCard Foundation has partnered with Michigan State University to provide full-funded scholarships
The program is open to residents and citizens of Sub-Saharan African countries. Students must be first-time applicants to MSU. Transfer students are not eligible for the program.
- Prior completion of a Bachelors Degree from an African University with academic achievements suggesting continued academic success as a graduate student.
- Strong commitment to a professional path in line with an area of study that can positively impact Africa.
- An interest in and capacity for give-back, evidenced by commitment and engagement on campus, in professional pursuits and/or community.
- Manifest ethical behavior and strong character essential to joining The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Network.
- Ability to deal with change, uncertainty, and adversity, as well as interest in other countries and cultures, necessary to succeed as a student overseas and represent one’s home country
- Significant financial need and/or from lowest income bracket in country of origin
- Commitment to return to Africa and give back in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa.
How to Apply
- In order to apply for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at Michigan State University, you MUST first apply to the desired masters program through the department that hosts your program and thereafter be NOMINATED for a MasterCard Foundation Scholarship by a faculty member therein. Only students who have been admitted to on-campus Masters Programs are eligible for this scholarship. A list of graduate programs is available via the following website: grad.msu.edu/department.
IMPORTANT: Please save your Applicant ID and password during the MSU application process, as you will need your ID to complete the MCF Scholarship Application.
- Make arrangements to take an English Proficiency Exam (TOEFL or IELTS), and any other examinations (for example GRE, GMAT) which the department or program to which you are applying requires.STUDENTS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO TAKE THESE EXAMS NO LATER THAN EARLY-DECEMBER 2015 IN ORDER FOR MSU TO RECEIVE SCORES PROMPTLY.
- Ensure that the department receives all required supporting documents and official test scores by the due date. Each department sets its own criteria for admission. Read the department’s website carefully and then follow the department’s instructions for graduate admission. Make arrangements to send all required official academic documents, letters of support, official test scores, etc. as indicated by the department and on the Application for Graduate Admission.
Only students admitted to Michigan State University will be considered for this scholarship. You should communicate with the appropriate graduate department regarding the status of your application.
- Complete the graduate student scholarship application and SEND IT TO YOUR GRADUATE DEPARTMENT to arrive by the due date. If submitting a hand-written scholarship application, ensure the document is clearly legible.
- Provide a copy of the MCF RECOMMENDATION FORM to an appropriate individual per the form instructions. Have your recommender complete this form and email it as an attachment to [email protected] no later than the due date.
Deadline: MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at MSU Master’s Scholarship Application and Recommendation Form deadline is February 1, 2016. In addition, application for graduate admission and all supporting academic materials (official transcripts, mark sheets, external exams, test scores, letter of recommendation) received by MSU by this date.