Postgraduate by Research Scholarship (PGR Scholarship) opens for applications for students to study in Malaysia. This is established to encourage good candidates to enroll in a Masters or PhD by research degree programmes offered by Sunway University and to provide benefit and financial assistance to a qualifying candidate by way of a scholarship, thereby supporting enrolment in Sunway University research degree programmes.
Worth of Award
|Mode of Study||Coverage||Minimum Eligibility Criteria||Living Allowance (RM)|
|PhD Full Time||100% waiver of *all fees and charges, for up to 3 years(PhD Studentship)||1st Class Honours degree and Distinction in Masters degree||3000/ month|
|100% tuition fee waiver for up to 3 years||Distinction in Masters degree||N/A|
|50 % tuitaion fee waiver for up to 3 years||Merit in Masters Degree||N/A|
|PhD Part Time||50% tuition fee waiver for up to 4 years||Distinction in Masters degree||N/A|
|30% tuition fee waiver for up to 4 years||Merit or equivalent in Masters degree||N/A|
|Masters Full Time||100% tuition fee waiver for up to 2 years||1st class degree or equivalent||N/A|
|50% tuition fee waiver for up to 2 years||2(i) class degree or equivalent||N/A|
|Masters Part Time||50% tuition fee waiver for up to 3 years||1st class degree or equivalent||N/A|
|30% tuition fee waiver for up to 3 years||2(i) class degree or equivalent||N/A|
Candidates with the following criteria may apply for the scholarship:
- A minimum Upper 2nd Class (2i) Honours degree or equivalent at undergraduate level shall normally be required in a relevant discipline;
- Demonstrate a good academic track record; and
- Demonstrate the potential to successfully complete the proposed programme of study.
And additionally, for application of PhD scholarship,
- A good Masters degree (minimum Merit or equivalent); and
- Eligible for admission to a Sunway University PhD degree by research
A selected number of eligible candidates will be allocated financial support each year. The candidates and the number of candidates to be supported will be determined by the University, subject to the approval of the Postgraduate Scholarship Committee (PGSC) based on the following criteria:
- Eligibility of the candidate;
- The candidate’s qualifications, ability and motivation to pursue the programme;
- The candidate having adequate experience to undertake the research work;
- Annual budget allocation for the scheme;
- Candidates may be required to attend an interview.
Terms and conditions
- Half-yearly review
A candidate who is supported by this scheme will be required to submit a half- yearly progress report to the University Higher Degrees Committee (UHDC). The candidate’s supervisor must verify that the claimed progress has been made. The UHDC will review the report and advise the Provost of any circumstances that may warrant the withdrawal of ongoing support by Sunway University to the candidate.
In the event that the candidate fails to make satisfactory progress, fails to complete within the allowable time as stated above, withdraws part way through the programme, or if his/her enrolment in the programme is terminated for any reason, the candidate will no longer be eligible for the scholarship.
How to Apply
- pon acceptance for admission to a PhD by Research degree programme at Sunway University, the candidate must apply for the scholarship by submitting the ‘Scholarship for Sunway University Research Degrees Form’ to the faculty.
- The Head of Department in which the student shall be registered must review and recommend the candidate to the Dean. With the support of the Dean, the application form will be forwarded to the Provost’s Office.
- The Provost’s Office will verify the candidate’s admissibility in line with section stated eligibility criteria.
- Applications will be forwarded to the PGSC for review. The PGSC will take into account the research record of the candidates and other information, and may interview each candidate in order to assess his/her suitability.
- Once the application is approved, Student Services Department (SSD) will prepare a letter of offer to the candidates.
- Unsuccessful candidates will be notified by the SSD.
Deadline: The application deadline is 2nd November 2016 for International students commencing in March and for local students commencing in January.