North-West University, South Africa invites applications for International Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Energy and Electrical Engineering.
The North-West University (NWU) is a multi-campus university with more than 70,000 students. The Potchefstroom Campus is the largest and oldest NWU campus and is situated in the historical university town of Potchefstroom in the North-West province about 120 km from Johannesburg.
The NWU culture is one of promoting excellence in research through innovation. The NWU is recognised as one of the best-managed and most innovative universities in South Africa.
Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering (Potchefstroom campus, NWU)
The research group is currently considering candidates in the following fields of expertise:
2) Power electronics
3) Electrical machines
4) Condition monitoring
The contract will be awarded for an initial period of 1 year, renewable for a second and third year subject to the candidate showing satisfactory progress in his/her research project. The fellowship is designed to support a scholar at an early stage in his or her career when, under prevailing circumstances, career pressures or teaching responsibilities might divert the individual away from research. The research fellow will be able to devote most of his or her time to research and writing and will find a sympathetic and critical audience to support that work. Fellows are expected to organize and lead a colloquium for graduate students, and to participate in the intellectual life of the department, which includes lectures, workshops, and preparing articles for journals and conferences. Fellows will be involved in supervision and tutoring of students. Work responsibilities will depend on the knowledge and strength of the candidate in a particular field.
Worth of Award
- The value of the fellowship will be approximately R 170 000 (ZAR – South African currency) per annum.
- A further amount of R 20 000 per annum will be made available for running costs. A once off amount to a maximum of R 20 000 will be made available for relocation costs.
- This will include transportation of the postdoctoral fellow and his/her belongings.
• A PhD degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering obtained no later than 2013 from a reputable university is mandatory.
• The candidate should be under 40 years of age.
• Candidates should be fluent in English.
• The candidate must have an engineering background.
• Candidates should have an excellent academic record and research potential.
• The scheme is open to nationals of all countries.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a detailed Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications, the names and contact details of three professional references and covering letter summarising the reason for applying, to Dr. Oleksandr Dobzhanskyi; E-mail: odobzhanskyi-at-yahoo.com.
Deadline: The closing date for applications is November 25th 2016. Work will commence February 2017. The final decision resides with the fellowship advisor and the department of research support.