The 2014-2015 Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Students is now open for applications. The Swiss Government, through the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS), awards various postgraduate scholarships to foreign scholars and researchers:
- University scholarships (Swiss universities, Federal Institutes of Technology as well as Universities of Applied Sciences)
- Arts scholarships (schools of music and fine arts, only for a limited number of countries).
These scholarships provide graduates from all fields with the opportunity to pursue doctoral or postdoctoral research in Switzerland at one of the public funded university or recognized institution.
Worth of Scholarships: the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships cover full tuition, living expenses as well as return ticket to scholars’ home country
Length of Scholarships: Depends; normally three (3) years for PhD students and
- First class Master degree or equivalent University degree
- The candidate should not be more than 35 years old at the moment of the application
- Applicants should be residing in their home country at the moment of the application.
- Applicants who are in Switzerland since more than 1 year are not eligible
- Applicants must provide a letter (e-mail) from a Professor from the Swiss host institution stating that he/she is willing to supervise the PhD
- In the case where the PhD is run within a structured doctoral school applicants must provide an admission letter or the proof that they are being considered for admission
- Applicants must apply to the chosen Swiss University as well as for the scholarship. The 2 procedures are separate and must be simultaneously undertaken
- Applicants must have a research proposal including a timeframe (this is the central piece of the application. The applicant must devote all required attention to it)
- Applicants must be in command of the necessary language skills required for the PhD studies
- Applicants will have to obtain application forms from the Swiss embassies in their countries
- The FCS 2014-2015 official application form (typed and printed). No handwritten forms will be accepted. Submit the form with the following documents:
- Copies of all university certificates and grade-sheets (all copies must be attested, and translated if originals are not in English, German, French or Italian. Attestations can be done by the University or a Government Officer.
- Two letters of recommendation from Professors in the applicants field (use exclusively the official reference form provided with the application package)
- A complete research proposal (approx. 5 pages), including a work schedule as well an overview of the research work conducted until now that could be relevant for the granting of the fellowship
- A full curriculum vitae with list of academic publications
- A copy of the confirmation from a Professor at the intended Swiss University that he/she is willing to supervise the PhD studies. In the case where the PhD is run within a structured doctoral school, a copy of the PhD admission letter or a least a proof that the candidate is being considered for admission
- A health certificate (use the official health certificate provided with the application package)
- A copy of the passport (main page with personal data)
Please check their website for specific requirements for your country. This is for general guidance purposes. See link below and follow it to your country page.
Deadline: Most countries’ deadline is November 31, 2013.
For more information about the scholarship, click this link and select your country of origin from the drop down menu at the bottom of the page on their website.