The University of Melbourne invites international students to apply for the 2014/2015 Melbourne International Research Scholarships (MIRS) open to international students who wish to undertake master’s or PhD research degree studies at the University in the 2014/2015 academic session. MIRSs are funded by the University with each faculty having a limited number to award.
Each year the University offers about 200 new Melbourne Research Scholarships (MRSs), of which about 150 are normally awarded to international students as MIRSs.
Worth of Awards
Benefits provided by the MIRS include:
- a living allowance of $24,653 per annum (2013 rate)
- a Relocation Grant of $2,000 awarded to students who are moving from interstate in order to study at the University of Melbourne or $3,000 awarded to those who are moving from overseas
- a Thesis Allowance of up to $420 (2013 rate) for masters by research and up to $840 (2013 rate) for PhD and other doctorate by research candidates, and
- paid sick, maternity and parenting leave.
- To be considered for a MIRS, applicants need to apply for scholarship and candidature in a graduate research degree course (eg. masters by research, PhD or other research doctorate) at the University of Melbourne.
- Only open to international applicants (ie. citizens of countries other than Australia and New Zealand who are not Australian permanent residents.)
- Both commencing and currently enrolled international research higher degree students may apply.
- Selection will be based on the eligibility criteria and academic merit.
How to Apply
- International applicants are considered for the scholarships once their application is supported by their Faculty.
- Applicants must apply for admission using the candidature and scholarship application portal (details below ).
Deadline: MIRS applicants who submit their complete application for admission and scholarship by
- May 31, 2014 will receive a RHD scholarship outcome before 31 July 2014
- Applicants will be advised via email as soon as an outcome to their scholarship application is determined.