The Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management (IGN), University of Copenhagen welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background for the four fully financed PhD positions of the department. This is offered to highly skilled candidates commencing May 1, 2014 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Worth of Awards
- The successful candidates will be employed in one of the department sections: Geology; Geography; Forest, Nature and Biomass; Landscape architecture and Planning.
- The grants only include salary for the PhD student and a small annual supplement covering educational costs.
- The starting salary is currently at a minimum DKK 304,000 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 42,000). Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
- If additional funding is required to carry out the research activities (e.g., fieldwork and laboratory analysis) then the supervisor must state that this funding will be available.
- The project description should be no more than 3 pages excluding references (Times New Roman font size 12, margins of a minimum of at least 2 cm, line spacing of at least 1.15).
- The project description should focus on describing the new, original research idea. However, the project description should also outline the practical possibilities for carrying out the project, including access to relevant sites, laboratory facilities and field equipment etc.
Your key tasks as a PhD student at Science are:
- Manage and carry through your research project
- Take PhD courses
- Write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- Participate in congresses
- Stay at an external research institution for a few months, preferably abroad
- Teach and disseminate your research
Key criteria for the assessment of candidates
- A master´s degree related to the subject area of the project
- The grade point average achieved
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD programme
- Previous publications
- Relevant work experience
- Other professional activities
- Language skills
- Marks obtained during the first year of study on the master programme (only relevant for applicants applying for a 4-year scholarship)
- The positions are available for a 3-year period for applicants holding a relevant master´s degree or for a 4-year period for applicants who are already enrolled or are accepted to be enrolled at one of the Faculty´s master´s programmes.
- At the time of commencement, applicants for the 4-year period must have approximately one year of study remaining before graduating from their MSc programme.
How to Apply
Apply by clicking “Apply online” on their website.
Applications – in English – must include:
- Cover Letter, stating which PhD project you are applying for and detailing your motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project.
- Project description*
- Complete transcripts of markc an d relevant diplomas (BSc and MSc)
- Information about participation in conferences and workshops
- Supervision agreement signed by a potential supervisor.(The main supervisor must be employed at IGN and he/she must be employed on associate professor or professor level)
Deadline: The application must be received no later than April 1, 2014 Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
- By the end of April 2014, all applicants will have received information regarding the evaluation of their application.