DAAD in Germany is offering Research Grants for Doctoral Candidates and Young Academics and Scientists (more than 6 months), 2022/23. These research grants provide foreign doctoral candidates and young academics and scientists with an opportunity to carry out research and continue their education in Germany.
There are funding programmes for various qualification phases and stages in a career. The grants also promote the exchange of experience and networking amongst colleagues.
The primary aim of this programme is to promote research projects within the context of doctoral programmes.
Worth of Award
- Depending on academic level, monthly payments of
euros 850.- for graduates,
euros 1,200.- for doctoral candidates
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- One-off research allowance
Under certain circumstances, grant holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- monthly rent subsidy
- monthly allowance for accompanying members of family
- Excellently-qualified doctoral candidates and young academics and scientists who have completed a Master’s degree or Diploma, or in exceptional cases a Bachelor’s degree at the latest by the time they begin their grant-supported research.
- What can be funded?
- A research project or course of continuing education at a state or state-recognised institution of higher education in Germany or a non-university research institute, which is being carried out in coordination with an academic adviser in Germany.
How to apply
What requirements must be met?
- A Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree of 2nd class upper-division level and a Master of Arts/Master of Science degree are required;
- a Licence or Maitrise degree of “assez bien” level and a DEA/DESS degree or a Master corresponding to the LMD system are required.
- As a rule, applicants should not have graduated any longer than six years before the application deadline. Doctoral candidates should not have started their doctoral degree any longer than three years previously.
- Applicants who have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the application deadline cannot be considered.
The following documents ought to be made ready:
Certificates, proof of credits, certifications and translations may be scanned in non-certified form and uploaded to the DAAD portal. DAAD’s Head Office in Bonn will only request certified copies of the submitted documents in paper form if a grant is awarded!
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of publications (max. 10 pages), if applicable
- Extensive and detailed description of the research proposal which has been discussed with the academic adviser and a description of previous research work (max. 10 pages)
- Schedule of planned research work
- Letter confirming supervision by an academic adviser in Germany, which refers to the applicant’s proposal and confirms that the host institute will provide a workplace
- University degree certificate indicating final grade(s): the certificate must be subsequently submitted before the grant-supported research begins if it is not available at the time of application.
- Other documents which support your application (example: certificates of employment, proof of placements, etc. )
- Copy of school-leaving certificate which entitles holders to study at a university in the home country (with all individual grades)
- Proof of admission to a doctoral programme at the home university insofar as the applicant intends to take a doctoral degree there
- All university certificates on all annual examinations with individual grade(s), incl. explanation of grading system.
- German or English translations of documents submitted in the national language
To be submitted by post
One recent reference from a university teacher which provides information about your qualifications (hand-signed, no digital or scanned signature). Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application“.
Deadline: Applications close on October 15, 2021.