The French Institutes for Advanced Study FIAS invites applications for the French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Programme for high-level International Scholars and Scientists in 2021.
The programme offers 10-month fellowships in the four Institutes of Paris, Lyon, Montpellier, and Marseille in 2021. It welcomes applications from high-level international scholars and scientists primarily in the fields of the social sciences and the humanities (SSH).
31 positions are available for the 2021-2022 Academic Year:
- Paris: 17
- Lyon: 5
- Marseille: 6
- Montpellier: 3
The call is open to all disciplines in the SSH and all research fields. Research projects from other sciences that propose a transversal dialogue with SSH are also eligible. Some of the four IAS have scientific priorities they will focus on more specifically.
The Fellows will benefit from the support and conducive scientific environment offered by the IAS, in an interdisciplinary cohort of fellows and in close relation to the local research potential. The fellows will be free to organize their work and conduct research as they wish.
Worth of Award
FIAS fellowships offer the following conditions:
- A net living allowance (equivalent to take-home pay) of €2,700 per month *
- Two flexible contractual options, considering individual situations: work contracts or paid leave*
- Adequate social security coverage
- Accommodation or support for relocation
- An individual research and training budget equivalent to €2,500 per year
- Travel expenses (one round trip from the fellow home country)
- Same working conditions as the IAS’ other fellows, including individual offices, special access and lending privileges in university-based research libraries, IT services, multiple collective spaces
- Skills training opportunities
- FIAS awards fellowships to outstanding researchers of all career levels, from postdoctoral researchers to senior scientists.
- The minimum requirement is a PhD + 2 years of research experience at the time of the application. Exceptions will be made for scholars with a Master + 6 years of full-time research experience after the degree (PhD training will not be considered in the calculation of experience).
- Researchers from all countries are eligible for the Programme but they have to have spent no more than 12 months in France during the three years prior to the application deadline.
How to Apply
The application for the French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship is to be completed exclusively via the FIAS website. The dedicated tool will be available online in early June 2021.
Before applying, please verify if you respect the eligibility conditions.
The requested application materials (in English exclusively) will consist of:
- detailed curriculum vitae with a comprehensive list of publications
- copy of the diploma
- detailed research proposal (maximum 5 pages and a bibliography – 1 additional page)
- selection of three to five publications (articles or book chapters)
- letter of support/interest by an IAS’s local scientific partner -only requested and mandatory for the Paris IAS and for MAK’IT (Montpellier IAS)
- The completed online application form
Optional: Up to two letters of recommendation
Deadline: The application deadline is July 6, 2021, at 6:00 pm (Paris, France time).