Goethe-Institut invites applications for the Goethe-Institut Residency Writing Gender for African and German Writers in Rwanda in 2021.
The purpose of this residency is to support writers as they complete or make significant advances with a novel manuscript which is a work-in-progress. It is particularly passionate about literature as a space for opening up conversations about gender, its modes of construction, histories, representation, and relationality to power: the theme of this residency is therefore writing gender.
Worth of Award
- This writers’ residency will be awarded jointly to two writers: one writer based in Africa and one German-speaking writer. Both writers will stay in Kigali for four weeks.
- During their stay, the writers will have space to work on their writing, have literary exchange with each other and introduce their writing to a local audience.
- Transportation costs (a return economy flight ticket from home to Kigali) and visa fees will be covered.
- Accommodation during the four-week stay will be provided.
- Each writer will receive a grant of 2000 Euro for the residency period (inclusive of a per diem and private transport) paid in place in two installments.
- Working languages for 2021 are English and German.
Writers of the Goethe-Institut Residency Writing Gender should be/have
- over 18 years old.
- from African countries (except Rwanda) and German-speaking countries.
- at least one published text, either with a publisher, in a literary magazine or in a newspaper. Self-published work will not be considered.
- working on a novel (fiction) manuscript that explores gender and its constructions.
- available for four weeks in September 2021.
How to Apply
- Letter of motivation documenting your writing career, a proposed writing plan for the residency and the reasons for your application (max. 2 pages, in English).
- Description of the novel to be developed during your residency and its connection to ideas of writing gender.
- Work sample from the novel that you want to work on during your residency (3000-4000 words) and one other published text.
- Curriculum Vitae/Full biography (max. 2pages, in English).
- All documents must be sent as one PDF.
The application shall be sent to the following address: [email protected]
Deadline: Wednesday, 16th May 2021 (23:59 GMT +0)