VC4A invites applications for the YALTA Business Accelerator for SMEs in East Africa in 2021.
The YALTA Business Accelerator, an initiative of The Netherland Foods Partnership within the Youth in Agroecology and Business Learning Track Africa calls upon SMEs in Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda to submit their agroecological ideas for a sustainable, healthy, and diverse food system.
Worth of Award
The 3 winners receive matching grants for the implementation of their solution.
- first prize winner receives 5,000 euros.
- second prize winner receives 3,000 euros.
- third prize winner receives the sum of 2,000 euros.
The 10 selected participants will receive
- Business and innovation training skills.
- Coaching to develop, test, iterate, and pitch your agroecological solution like a pro.
- opportunity to pitch before investors.
- opportunity to have follow-up coaching sessions.
- Close support during implementation.
Winning ideas contribute to one or more of these goals:
- Resource efficiency (waste reduction, regenerative agriculture, and circular practices)
- Dietary diversity
- Synergies and co-creation in the food system
- Human health and well-being
- Creating value for low-income or other vulnerable groups
Besides impact potential on these goals, applications will be evaluated based on:
- Feasibility and clarity of the idea
- Desirability: is the idea benefiting your customers, clients?
- Viability: is the business model behind the idea viable?
- Current contribution to agroecological principles: what do you do already in your business to be resource-efficient, and benefit people and the planet?
- Suitability: is the YALTA Business Accelerator a good fit for you based on your ambitions
You are eligible for the YALTA Business Accelerator for SMEs in East Africa if you are
- A young entrepreneur in agriculture, food, and nutrition.
- Managing a local business for the local/regional market in Ethiopia / Kenya / Rwanda or Uganda.
- You have an idea to improve your business so that it contributes to a sustainable food system
- Your business has been running for 1+ year
- If the COVID-19 measures allow: you are available to travel to Nairobi for a 3-day-long in-person training at the end of August (travel costs reimbursed).
- If the COVID-19 measures do not allow: you are available and able to participate in the training online, including participation in virtual sessions and online self-study sessions over the period of 2 weeks at the end of August.
How to Apply
All applications are to be made online via the official website.
Deadline: Fill in the FULL application form by June 30, 24:00 EAT at the latest.