Russel Sage Foundation is inviting applications from journalists for its 2021 visiting Visiting Scholars Programme in the USA.
The Visiting Scholars Program provides a unique opportunity for select scholars in the social, economic, political and behavioural sciences to pursue their research and writing while in residence at the foundation in New York City. The fellowship period is September 1st through June 30th.
The foundation annually awards up to 17 residential fellowships. Visiting Scholars are at least several years beyond the PhD and once selected, typically work on projects related to the foundation’s core programs and special initiatives. Scholars represent a wide range of disciplines, including economics, psychology, political science, sociology, public policy/public affairs, law, behavioural science, demography, history, anthropology, etc.
Scholars are provided with an office at the foundation, computers, library access, and supplemental salary support. Scholars from outside NYC are provided with a partially subsidized apartment near RSF.
Worth of Award
- Scholars are provided with an office at RSF, computer and library facilities, and salary support of up to 50 per cent of their academic year salary when unavailable from research grants or other sources (up to a maximum of $125,000 for the full term, or $62,500 for half of the full-term).
- Scholars who reside outside the greater New York City area are provided with a partially subsidized apartment near the Foundation offices (if scholars are fully funded by external sources, the RSF apartment may be fully subsidized). Child care subsidies are also available for children below the age of 13.
- Because of the high cost of living in New York City, RSF has established a minimum salary for scholars who are offered a fellowship. Under certain circumstances and conditional on the guidelines above, applicants earning less than $90,000 per year may receive a salary supplement from RSF that is in addition to RSF’s standard 50% contribution. The sum of the supplement and the scholar’s salary would total $90,000 for the fellowship period ($45,000 for one term visitors).
- This residential fellowship requires significant Foundation resources and scholars are expected to fully engage in the intellectual life of RSF. For that reason, they are expected to be in their office at least 75 percent of the days that the Foundation is open.
- All scholar applicants must have a PhD or comparable terminal degree, or a career background that establishes their ability to conduct high-level, peer-reviewed scholarly research.
- Applicants must be at least 3 years beyond the PhD. Doctoral or other graduate students are not eligible to apply.
- Individuals are allowed a maximum of two visits to the Foundation as a Visiting Scholar.
- A former visiting scholar may apply for a second fellowship that would begin no earlier than seven years after their first visit. However, because of the limited number of scholars that they select each year and the impressive application pool, first-time applicants receive priority.
How to Apply
- Consult their upcoming deadlines page to find the next application period
- Visit their online application portal, create an account, and complete the application form.
- Submit a short proposal through the portal describing the project to be undertaken while in residence at the Foundation (Note: No more than 5 pages, single-spaced, with standard 11 or 12-point font and 1-inch margins—excluding up to 2 pages of references and figures/tables).
- Submit an up-to-date abbreviated CV (5 pages maximum) through the portal.
Deadline: application for the Visiting Scholars Programme for journalists closes June 24, 2021 (11:59pm ET)