The Open Internet for Democracy Leaders Program in collaboration with the Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE), the National Democratic Institute (NDI), and the Center for International Media Assistance (CIMA) invite applications for the Open Internet for Democracy Leaders Program for Emerging Leaders across the Globe in 2021.
Democracy has always required the free flow of ideas. In the modern age, this means a free, open internet where all citizens can freely voice their opinions, share, and debate. Access to an open internet for all is necessary to strengthen democratic engagement and governance, enable equal participation in the market economy, and promote social accountability.
Worth of Award
Open Internet Leaders will receive
- an honorarium of $1,000 USD for completing their required activities, as well as
- travel and
- per diem covered for at least one international trip.
- Note that travel opportunities may change due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
If for any reason travel is not possible, CIPE, NDI, and CIMA, will explore ways for the Open Internet Leaders to participate in international fora through virtual conferencing platforms.
- Demonstrated interest or experience working on open internet issues, with preference given to those focused on media, economic inclusion/digital economy/entrepreneurship, or civic/political participation.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: policy, activism, research, or technical expertise.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision in collaboration with colleagues across different time zones.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Strong social media skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Ability to travel to one international conference (location TBD; costs covered; In-person participation in such events is contingent on health considerations related to the COVID-19 pandemic)
- Access to a reliable internet connection that will enable participation in video or virtual workshops or conferences.
- Ability to actively participate in regular check-in calls with program organizers and in virtual orientation sessions.
- Applicants must live and work in an OECD-DAC eligible country.
How to Apply
All applications should be made online via the official website.
Deadline: Submit an application by June 23, 2021, for consideration.