Deutsche Welle Akademie invites applications for the DW Akademie Film Development Fund for Ugandan or Tanzanian Filmmakers in 2021.
The Fund has been designed to support filmmakers from the Global South who are passionate about storytelling and want to build their careers.
It is looking for filmmakers from Uganda or Tanzania who have already made one or more films and would now like support in developing their next project!
It offers a comprehensive, year-long program that includes financial support, professional mentoring, and training.
Worth of Award
Selected filmmakers for the DW Akademie Film Development Fund will receive up to €10,000 for the development phase of their film.
The funding is for the development phase of the film’s overall production.
The development phase includes but is not limited to the following activities:
- Script development
- Location and character scouting
- Development of marketing or distribution strategies
Similarly, DW Akademie will provide a mentoring program in combination with training sessions. It is part of the funding and selected filmmakers must agree to participate in at least 80% of the mentorship and training days offered.
- Filmmakers (directors/scriptwriters) who are based in Tanzania or Uganda and have worked in a professional context on at least one fictional or non-fictional production are eligible to apply. The film needs to have been released either locally or internationally (e.g., theatrical release, screening in a national or international festival, TV broadcast, digital third-party broadcast, streaming/VOD).
- Please note that you must be a Ugandan or Tanzanian citizen to apply. Filmmakers from the diaspora are not eligible.
- Eligible formats are fictional and non-fictional feature-length films (at least 60 minutes) currently in development.
- The fund focuses on the development stage of a film’s overall production. This is the phase for creating ideas, writing screenplays, acquiring financing, contracting rights, etc.
- Development activities eligible for funding include, but are not limited to work on your screenplay, research (travel), production of a mood reel, participation in labs (lab and travel fees), acquiring financing for production (work on further funding applications, travel to festivals, etc), location and/or character/protagonist scouting, etc.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications in full by the respective deadlines.
Documents to be submitted include
- Application form (online)
- Activity schedule
Applicants whose projects are shortlisted may be asked to submit
- The latest version of the treatment or screenplay
Deadline: The application closing date is October 25th, 2021.