The University of Sussex in the UK invites applications for the Stuart Hall Foundation CHASE AHRC studentships for BAME Arts and Humanities Researchers in the 2022/23 academic session.
The CHASE consortium is delighted to announce a new partnership with the Stuart Hall Foundation (SHF) to support at least two studentships a year for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates to undertake doctoral research in Arts and Humanities. As well as the usual benefits of a CHASE studentship, successful awardees will benefit from working with SHF to develop their career and research profile. Post holders will be able to engage with the resources and networks of the Stuart Hall Foundation, including an annual gathering of Foundation Fellows, and privileged access to the work of SHF.
Worth of Award
- PhD studentships cover PhD fees (international or UK level) and a tax-free maintenance allowance (currently £15,609) and support funding (for e.g. conferences, placements, research travel, training courses)
There are two eligibility criteria:
- The Stuart Hall Foundation Scholarships are available to candidates from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds only.
- Your PhD project must fit with the aims of the Foundation.
CHASE AHRC studentships are open to UK and Overseas/International students according to the UKRI student eligibility rules. Up to 30% of each cohort of students may be Overseas students. So we are now also able to offer a limited number of studentship awards to international candidates, including a stipend and full payment of international fees.
How to Apply
- If you wish to apply for a SHF CHASE studentship you must first apply for a place on a PhD course at the University of Sussex. You will then be able to request a link to the CHASE application form.
- On the CHASE application form, to be considered to the SHF scholarship you must provide a short statement (up to 200 words) describing how your project fits with the Stuart Hall Foundation’s mission.
Deadline: The deadline for the Sussex PhD application is December 17th, 2021 and the deadline for the CHASE scholarship application including the SHF statement is January 28th, 2022.